Sunday, December 27, 2009

Book Review - What Happens in London by Julia Quinn

What Happens in London tells the story of Lady Olivia Bevelstoke and Sir Harry Valentine. Lady Olivia decides to spy on her neighbor when she is told that he killed his fiancee. She is not a good spy and Sir Harry notices what is going on immediately. These two dislike each other on first meeting.

Sir Harry is required to watch Olivia by the War Office because she is being courted by a Russian prince who may be a spy. During the ensuing intrigue Harry and Olivia fall in love.

Harry is nice, but a little boring. However, having a boring hero was actually a nice change. I am sick of these heros who are misogynists until they meet the right woman. There was not an evil woman in his past who ruined him for women until the heroine came along.

The female lead, Olivia, was also a bit bland. She made quirky lists, but she hated school. There did not seem to be anything special about her.

That being said, the book gave me that giddy, breathless feeling that a good romance novel gives you. I would say that I would be happy to borrow another of Ms. Quinn's novels from the library or a friend, but I wouldn't purchase it myself. I give it two and a half out of five hearts.

1 comment: